There's nothing quite like the freedom of exploring the world from behind the wheel. It's hard to beat the feeling you get when the sun is out, the sky is clear and an empty road stretches away from you towards the horizon. Here, we've picked some of our favourite road trip shots from the Rough Guides archive. If these don't make you long for the open road, we don't know what will.
1. Into the outback in Australia's Northern Territory
3. Along the coastal road on the Isle of Skye, Scotland
Photo credit: Dreamstime.com/Jk3291
5. Gentle corners on the shores of Lake Garda, Italy
6. The King's Highway snakes into the distance in Jordan
10. Exploring the Fanad Peninsula, Ireland
11. Beneath the mahogany trees at Cherry Tree Hill, Barbados
13. Quintessential countryside views in Oxfordshire, England
14. An empty highway through Monument Valley, USA
15. Crossing Hardknott Pass in the Lake District, England
16. Hwy-20 south of Fort Sumner in New Mexico, USA
Liked this? Discover more great photography with Rough Guides on Pinterest:
Visit Rough Guides's profile on Pinterest.